I Don't Want to be a Server the Rest of my Life. Or do I?

In most of my blogs, that no one reads, which is alright, I usually talk about sports or how the Reds and Bengals contiune to disappoint me and the city of Cincinnati. But today I decided to talk, I guess write, about how my job as a server at the Big F, has really shown more the importance of getting a education. I'm just a 19 year old college student and working at the Big F was my first real job. I don't plan on making my job as a server a career for the future, but some of the people that work there have been there for years and years.

I can not imagine server annoying customers for 20 years. It has only been 3 years for me and I have already had enough. There are a lot of great people in this world, but it seems that most of them never come to the Big F. The truth is though that some of the customers that come in are some of the nicest people I have ever met. One night I was sweeping up my station, believe it or not with a damn broom, but this older couple from Philly started to talk to me. They were on there way home from a funeral and despite what they were going through, they could not have been nicer to me. They asked me where I went to school, what I was majoring in and I am not much of a people person, but I enjoyed talking to them. When the older women went to the restroom, her husband and I began to talk some more and it was one of the greatest converstions I have ever had.

He told me about how he went to school with Joe Paterno, who has been the Head Coach at Penn State for God knows how long, and just about his experience in college and how his education helped him get a good job. Joe Pa is pretty old and so was this gentleman, and sometimes older people can be annoying, but he wasn't. I never got the chance to hear stories from my grandpa's, one died before I was born and the other when I was 3 years old. So talking to this older guy gave me an idea what it would have been like to talk to one of my grandpa's about their lives. Senior citizens frankly can be a pain in the ass, but some have the greatest stories I have ever heard and I enjoy talking to them. They are so full of knowledge and wisdom it makes me want to talk to them more and more.

It was a really a nice conversation that we had and when I finished sweeping with that damn broom again, I thought we were in the 21st Century, but apparently the Big F is not. I ran into that older couple as I was leaving because I could finally go home after doing all my side work, which is a major pain. The older man turned to me and told me it was nice talking to you and good luck with school. He didn't have to say that, but it really meant a lot to me. That just shows that their are in fact some good people that come into the Big F, but I just wish their were more of them.

Even though I complain a lot about the Big F and how some nights I just want to hang myself after work, I have to say that working at the Big F is one of the best things I have ever done. I was not much of a people person before I started, but being a server, you have to have good people skills. My people skills have gotten a lot better and I'm not afraid to talk to people now. I'll even admit that before I started to work at the Big F I had a hard time talking to girls. I don't know why, but I was like Raj on The Big Bang Theory who can only talk to girls if he is drunk. That was not the case for me, but it was pretty similar. Now it's not a big deal and I handle myself a lot better around them. Plus, there is only one other guy server, so I'm kinda stuck with them.

Working at the Big F has been a great experience and it really makes me want to get a good education so I can get a good job someday. I make a decent amount of money working there, but my dream is to own a Ferrari and own the Cincinnati Bengals and I don't think I will ever be able to do that by working at the Big F. This job is a great stepping stone for me and it drives me to someday get a job that can help me achieve my dream of owning the Bengals and a Ferrari.

What's your favorite thing?

Comments