Despite Struggles, Reds Still in Hunt

It’s has been a while since my last post and a lot has happened in the sports world. As usually we will start with the Reds. The Reds are 40-33 and are only one game back of the St. Louis Cardinals. They have not played great of late, but they still find a way to stick around. The Reds have been involved in interleague play the last two weeks and playing teams at the bottom of the barrel in the Royals, Mariners and Athletics, with mixed results. I went to the Saturday night game two weeks ago against the Royals, mainly to get the Scott Rolen bobblehead, and was impressed. Winning 15-6 with the Reds pair of Johnny’s carrying the load. Johnny Cueto gave up some runs in the 2nd inning, but overall pitched a nice game. Jonny Gomes hit two three-run home runs and got a curtain call and a standing ovation when he took the field.

However, they lost two of three against the Royals and got swept against the Mariners, in which they only scored one run. One of the worst three game series I have ever seen a team play that I couldn’t even watch much of the games because the Reds play was sickening. The Reds have always been horrible on the West Coast and after getting their ass kicked in Seattle they were able to salvage a .500 road trip by sweeping the A’s. It’s almost July and with the Reds only one game back of the Cardinals, I will take a .500 road trip any day of the week. Even though the Reds have been up and down the past few weeks, I think they are bound for successful summer. The pitching is the key, as usual.

Edinson Volquez is still rehabbing in Louisville, but should be back in the rotation after the All-Star break. Aroldis Chapman should be making his major league debut in the next month, not to mention Mike Leake, Johnny Cueto and Bronson Arroyo are pitching very well. With those five guys in the rotation and moving LeCure and Harang to the bullpen, maybe even the addition of Travis Wood or Matt Maloney, the Reds have lots of arms to choose from. I cannot remember a time when the Reds were this deep in pitching. There have been rumors that the Reds might trade some of their prospects for Roy Oswalt or Cliff Lee, but I think that the Reds should just stick with what they have and try and win from within.

Some teams go out and buy their teams, cough, cough, the Yankees, but the Reds done it the old fashion way by scouting, drafting and bringing up players through their farm system. There are areas of concern in the bullpen and if the offense goes cold, like it did in Seattle, but I think they are easy fixes. Putting Harang, Homer Bailey, LeCure or Chapman in the bullpen should fix any problems and hopefully Arthur Rhodes continues to pitch the way he has. The offense might need another bat in the outfield, the Reds have had talks with Gary Matthews Jr., decent player, had a monster year a while back, but on decline since. Maybe trading for a bat or signing Matthews will give the offense a boot. The Reds might make the playoffs this year, but I think that next year will be there year. I would not be surprised to see the Reds have one of their best seasons ever in 2011 and return to the glory days of the 1970’s. Things are finally looking up in the Queen City and it’s about damn time.

Besides the Reds, the past few weeks have been full of great sporting moments. The USA won their group in the FIFA World Cup, which shocked everyone. Even though the refs screwed US over not once, but twice, we still managed to find a way to win the group. I think that soccer is very boring, but I enjoyed watching the game yesterday and plan to watch the game on Saturday, something I never thought I would say.

The U.S. Open at Pebble Beach was one of the worst golf events I have ever seen. The best players in the world were playing terrible, not to mention I thought the course looked bad as well. I guess every course can’t look like the Masters, but it could have looked a little better. Then there’s the tennis match. OMG.

The 5th set was 70-68 and the match took 11 hours. I haven’t played 11 hours of tennis in my life and I cannot imagine playing for that long. It would something if Isner went on to win Wimbledon, but I still like Federer or Nadel to win it all, like they always do.

My Los Angeles Lakers won the NBA title in seven games their arch rivals the Boston Celtics and I am $10 richer because of it. Kobe Bryant is the best player in the NBA, period, and he showed that in the Finals. LeBron is the most talked about player in the NBA, but Kobe is better.

Summer has been good so far and hopefully the Reds stay in it, which will make the long, hot summer more bearable. And I got a buzz today, can really see my egg shaped head now.

Comments