Reds Stay Hot on the West Coast; Lou Piniella Calls it a Career

It's August 23rd, most schools are back in session and for the first time I can stay that the Cincinnati Reds are in first place when school started. When the kids in this town go back to school the Reds are usually 15 games out and about 20 games below .500 and everyone is looking forward to the Bengals. But the Sundays this fall will not only feature Bengals games, but Reds playoff games as well.

The Reds are currently on the West Coast and have never played well out there, which is no secret, but not this year. The 2010 season is not the typical Reds season, compared to the last 19. I have written about all the ways the Reds are a good team and how they are amongst the leaders in almost every major statistical category and it might seem repetitive, but I have never more excited about a sports team in my entire life. I don't know if I have ever been more excited about anything else in my entire life than the 2010 Cincinnati Reds. I love two things in this world, my family of course, and sports. The Reds and Bengals have and always will be my teams. In fact want to be buried wearing a Bengals jersey, a Reds baseball hat, with a football in my left hand and a baseball in my right, hopefully not for a long time though.

The 2010 Cincinnati Reds have done things this year that they have not done in a long time. They won a game in Los Angeles for the first time since 2005, and not only that, but they even won the series. They are winning on the road, at home, at night, during the day, in the rain, whatever. They are currently 72-52 and have won 8 of their last 9 games. They have not been this good in 20 years and it just so happens that they are 20 games over the .500 mark. Joey Votto has continued to lead the Reds and the National League in every offensive category. Votto is batting .323 with 29 HR and 86 RBI, all which led the Reds and are in the top 5 in the NL. If Votto does not win MVP, it will be an even bigger crime than him not getting selected to the All-Star team.

I will probably jinx the Reds, but I would bet my entire life savings that they make the playoffs. I have logged a lot of hours at the Big F over the past 3 years and I would bet every penny that I have earned at that place on the Reds making the playoffs. I have no idea what I will do if the Reds do make the playoffs, or better yet win the World Series, but I know it will be the greatest day of my life...to this point of course. Can't wait to listen to Marty in October and I'm looking forward to standing in line for playoff tickets because you never know when this will happen again.

In other baseball news one of the most entertaining managers of all-time retired Sunday. Lou Piniella had 1,835 wins as a manager, which is 14th best all-time and he had over 1,700 hits as a player. ESPN baseball insider, Buster Olney, was asked if Lou Piniella was a Hall a Famer. His response, yes. I hope Lou gets into the Hall, he is a very popular figure in baseball, a good player in his day and a great manager. He won manager of the year 3 times, including leading the Reds to the 1990 World Series and managing the Seattle Mariners to a Major League best 116 win season. He was also the best base thrower the game has ever seen. When he went out to argue a call, he let the umpire know exactly how he felt and he was wasn't happy if the ump didn't see it his way. From kicking dirt on the shoes of the umpires, to throwing first base out into right field, Lou Piniella was a character and a great manager. Thanks for the entertainment Lou, it was never a dull moment when you went out to argue, but most of all, thanks for leading the Reds to the 1990 World Series. Gonna miss seeing you in the dugout.

Comments