NFL: Wild Card Weekend

January 6th, 1991.

The day that the Cincinnati Bengals last won a playoff game and to put it into perspective on just how long it has been here's what was going on in the world back in '91.

A great movie and the top grossing movie
in the US when the Bengals last won a
playoff game.
Madonna's "Justify My Love," was the top song in the US. George H.W. Bush was the 41st President of the United States. The Soviet Union was still intact. Average price for a gallon of gas was around $1.14. The top grossing movie at the box offices was Home Alone. And I was 27 days old.

So, when the Cincinnati Bengals take the field Saturday afternoon in Houston, they will be on a mission to win their first playoff game in 7,671 days.

Since their last playoff win 21 years ago, the Cincinnati Bengals have appeared in just three playoff games, losing their first two in 2005 and 2009. Can they finally end the drought and win on Saturday? I think they can, which for Bengals fans, makes this a must see game.

As a Bengals fan, I cannot begin to describe how much I want to see this game. To some people Saturday's game is just a football game, but to me it's something more. The Cincinnati Bengals are the team I root for more than any other. I fell in love with the game of football watching Bengals' games with my dad when I was just a little kid and I've grown up idolizing them ever since. They are the team I live and die with on every play, the team I want to someday own, the team I want to see win a Super Bowl before I die, and the team I love almost as much as my own family.

I originally had to work on Saturday night during the game, which might have killed me since I would have missed a Bengals playoff game, but it turns out that good things sometimes do happen to good people. The Big F decided to give me the day off because of the game and I may complain about the place a lot, but I really appreciate what they did for me. I'm addicted to sports, especially football, and there is nothing more exciting for a diehard sports fan than watching your favorite team play the game you love during the playoffs.

I truly believe the Bengals can win this game and there is no one that deserves a win on Saturday more than the fans. The true diehard Bengals fans in this town have truly been through it all. They have seen the highs and the many, many lows this organization has gone through over the years and they deserve to see their team win a playoff game. These are the fans that continue to watch and root for a team that was the worst team in the NFL in the '90s, a team that continues to make baffling personnel decisions, an organization that ESPN The Magazine recently named the worst professional sports team in North America. That's a lot to go through and a playoff win today would certainly make it worth it.

Bengals quarterback Andy Dalton shouts commands during the fourth quarter.
Andy Dalton and the Bengals will be looking to avenge
 their December 11th loss to the Texans with a
playoff win Saturday in Houston.
(The Enquirer/Leigh Taylor)
The Bengals almost beat the Texans on December 11th in Cincinnati, losing in the final seconds, 20-19, after leading 16-3 at halftime. Marvin Lewis, Jay Gruden, Mike Zimmer, Andy Dalton, A.J. Green, and the rest of the team won't let that happen again. Andy Dalton is a lifetime 3-0 at Reliant Stadium and I think he will have a great game back in his home state. The defense will give rookie QB T.J. Yates fits and you can bet A.J. Green will come up with a spectacular catch at some point during the game. Plus, the last time the Bengals won a playoff game it was against the Houston Oilers. And I think their next playoff win will also be against a team from Houston.

Saturday is going to be a, "Great day to be a Bengals fan." Bengals 20, Texans 16. Who-Dey!!!

WILD CARD PICKS (Home team in CAPS)

NEW ORLEANS over Detroit: The over/under for this game is set at 59, but I expect there to be a lot more points scored in this one. New Orleans has scored 132 points in their last three games and they put up 31 points on the Lions back in Week 14. I expect it to be rocking in the Superdome and I think both teams will combine for at least 70 points. The Saints have the league's most explosive offense, Drew Brees, and home-field advantage, which should propel them into the next round.

NY GIANTS over Atlanta: Of all the Wild Card games this weekend, I think this one has the chance to be the most competitive. The Giants are really playing well right now, winning 3 of their last 4, and they knocked off the Dallas Cowboys last week in a winner take all game in The Big Apple to get into the playoffs.

One of the reasons the G-Men are in the playoffs is because of the play of the defensive line. Atlanta has a very good offense and if they are going to have any chance of winning, they have to keep QB Matt Ryan on his feet. Eli Manning has been clutch in the fourth quarter this season and I think he hooks up with WR Victor Cruz for some big plays late in the game, as the Giants walk away with the win.

Pittsburgh over DENVER: The Steelers limp into the playoff with QB Ben Roethlisberger still gimpy with a high ankle sprain, RB Rashard Mendenhall is lost for the season with a torn ACL, C Maurkice Pouncey will likely sit out with a sprained ankle, and CB Ryan Clark being held out of the game as a precaution because of sickle-cell disease that can cause severe complications at high altitudes. Clark lost 30 pounds, his spleen, and gallbladder after playing in Denver in 2007, so head coach Mike Tomlin told him he will not be playing on Sunday.

Despite all of this, I still like the Steelers to win in Denver. Tim Tebow has been awful the past three weeks and now he gets to face Dick LeBeau's defense. Yikes. The Denver defense is very good, so they could keep it close, but I will be shocked if the Broncos manage to put up two touchdowns. Steelers win by 10.

Last Week: 10-6
Regular Season Record: 163-93

Comments