NFL 2012: Divisional Round

Before we get to the Divisional games, I have to talk about the Bengals. Last Saturday afternoon was yet another four hours of frustrating Bengals football. I was disappointed with the outcome of the game like most fans, but to be honest, I wasn't as upset as I thought I would be. I thought the Bengals could win if they played their best football of the year, but I'm not surprised at all they lost a very winnable football game.
Bengals wide receiver A.J. Green (18) sits dejected on the bench with the rest of the offense during the final seconds of the game.
A dejected Bengals bench during the final minutes
of yet another playoff loss.
(The Enquirer/Jeff Swinger)

After 22 years of being a loyal, dedicated and diehard fan of this team, I guess I just expect them to keep losing when it matters most. Don't get me wrong the Bengals had a good season in 2012. I thought they were done when they hit the bye week at 3-5, but I give them a ton of credit for the way they played football the second half of the season. It was fun to watch, apart from that terrible game against the Eagles and the heartbreaking loss to the Cowboys, it had me believing this team could make some noise in the playoffs. Once again, however, another season of Bengals football comes to disappointing end.

Its hard being a Bengals fan, it truly is, and I'm afraid until Mike Brown is no longer a part of this organization, things won't change, and even then who knows. All I know is I want the Lombardi Trophy to come to Cincinnati. The fans of this team deserve better and the Bengals need to win a playoff game next year, maybe even more than that, to keep the fans they do have. There is a lot of talent on this team, a lot of talent, but there is still a lot of work left to be done.

Good news is...Opening Day is just 79 days away.

Divisional Round Picks (Home team in CAPS)

DENVER over Baltimore: Ravens LB Ray Lewis has had a Hall of Fame career and it will be sad to see his career come to end, and I believe that day will be Saturday afternoon. Peyton Manning and the Broncos haven't lost since Week 5 and have looked almost unbeatable in that stretch. If I had an MVP vote it would go to Manning because what he was able to do after not playing last year was simply remarkable. Yes, Adrian Peterson had a phenomenal season, but MVP stands for Most Valuable Player and there is no player in the NFL more valuable to his team than Peyton Manning is to the Denver Broncos. Denver wins Saturday afternoon by at least a touchdown.
Russell Wilson and the Seahawks have impressed everyone this season
and will look to keep the success going Sunday in Atlanta.
(Photo Courtesy The Washington Post)

Green Bay over SAN FRANCISCO: The 49ers beat the Packers at Lambeau Field back in Week 1, but I expect a different outcome on Saturday. I picked the Packers to win the Super Bowl before the season started and I'm sticking with them. San Francisco has a very good football team, but QB Colin Kaepernick is inexperienced in the postseason and QB Aaron Rodgers has not only a Super Bowl MVP award, but a Super Bowl ring as well. I like Rodgers and the Packers in a close one Saturday night.

ATLANTA over Seattle: The Seahawks have had a really good season, a really good season, a surprising season in fact, but I think it comes to an end on Sunday. Rookie QB Russell Wilson was the steal of the draft and he is going to be a solid player in this league for years to come, but I believe it's finally Atlanta's season. The Falcons are desperate for a playoff win with the Seahawks having to travel cross-country for the second straight week; I think fatigue will set in. Seattle won't make it easy, but Matt Ryan and the Falcons advance to the NFC Championship game.

NEW ENGLAND over Houston: Although I don't expect a repeat score of New England 42, Houston 14, like these two's had back in Week 14, but I do expect a similar outcome. Houston was anything but impressive last week against the Bengals and really have not played well the last month of the season. Tom Brady and the Patriots offense had another outstanding season, and I really don't see the Texans defense stopping them on Sunday. The score should be a lot closer, but Brady and the Pats come out with a win and earn a trip to Denver to take on Peyton Manning and the Broncos. Can't wait for that one.

Playoff Record: 2-2
Regular-Season Record: 171-85

Comments