NFL: Week 1

Being brought up Catholic and going to Catholic school all my life, I was always taught to honor the Ten Commandments. No Commandment is greater than another, but my favorite one has to be, "Thou Shall Honor the Sabbath." It's no coincidence that God put football on Sunday. He knew ever man would honor at least one of his Commandments this way and he would get a lot of prayers too. From, "I will do anything God, if you let us score here," or, "Oh Lord, please let the Bengals kick butt," and begging the Almightly for two touchdowns and a field goal. Every man honors the Sabbath in front of the television or at the stadium rooting on his favorite team, praying for victory. That's why I asked off for the next three Sundays and plan to not work another Sunday until February. I said I needed off  because I needed to watch the Bengals games and I did not want to be at the Big F serving burgers and fries, but I guess I could say it conflicts with my religion too.

Anyway, besides praying for a Bengals win this Sunday, the NFL season gets underway and here is who I seeing winning in Week 1. Each week I will do a preview of each game and give you what teams I think will win. No one probably cares who I think will win cause no one reads my stuff, but I will keep track of how many I get correct and incorrect. At the end of the season we will see if I really know as much about football as I think I do and maybe more people will tune in.

The NFL season gets underway Thursday night as the defending Super Bowl Champion New Orleans Saints take on the Minnesota Vikings in a rematch of last year's NFC Championship Game. I like the Saints to beat the Vikings again, as New Orleans should be electric. Drew Brees and the Saints offense might struggle with the Viking defense, but I think Brett Favre might be a little rusty and will struggle...again.

As for who else will win in Week 1:
NY Giants over Carolina: Not sold on Carolina QB Matt Moore or the Carolina defense. Eli and the Giant offense will be too much for the Panthers to handle.

Atlanta over the Roethislberger-less Steelers: Big Ben is suspended for the first four games, so the Steelers will look to Dennis Dixon to lead the offense. The Steelers defense will yet again be good this year, but I don't think they can score 14-21 points a game for the Steelers. I picked the Falcons to go to the playoffs and I'm sticking with them, plus as some people know, I hate the Steelers. I mean I really hate the Steelers.

Cleveland over Tampa Bay: Let's just say I will not be watching this game. I think both the Browns and Bucs are in for long seasons and this will be a meaningless game in the grand scheme of things. I will have to go with the Browns as they do have some good players, better players than the Buccaneers at least.

Denver over Jacksonville: A lot of people like the Jaguars here, but I think that Denver can have a good season. Jacksonville should have a sell out crowd, at least I hope so, it's the first game of the season for crying out loud and former Florida QB Tim Tebow will be there. Denver has a good defense, even without Elvis Dumervil, and Maurice Jones-Drew will get his yards, but he will be it. I think that Denver QB Kyle Orton will play good enough to help the Broncos win and I would not be surprised to see Tim Tebow in on a few plays.

Indianapolis over Houston: The Texans are 1-15 lifetime against the Colts and as far as I know Peyton Manning is playing. Need I say more, Houston will keep it close though.

Miami over Buffalo: I really like the Dolphins this year, with the addition of wide receiver Brandon Marshall, QB Chad Henne in his first year as a starter and the all the Wildcat formations, it's a lot to prepare for. The Bills will not be able to handle it all, but rookie running back C.J. Spiller should get some touches as the starter and might surprise the Dolphins.

Chicago over Detroit: The Lions are a lot better team than last year, but without having seen them play yet, all I have to go with is what they did last year, which was not much. Detroit is better on both sides of the ball, but the youth at some positions and Bears QB Jay Cutler are too much for them to handle in Week 1. I think Cutler will rebound from last year's disappointing performance and will beat the Lions with his arm.

Tennessee over Oakland: It's the Raiders and I can't remember the last time I picked them to win a game. They are better with QB Jason Campbell and they have a good defense, but no one can stop Titan RB Chris Johnson. Vince Young will have a solid game and Johnson runs for at least 100 yards and 2 TD in a win.

Arizona over St. Louis: This is a tough one. Matt Leinart and the Cardinals parted ways and he is now in Houston, so QB Derek Anderson gets another chance as a starter in the NFL. My advice to him, hand the ball off to Beanie Wells a lot, look for WR Larry Fitzgerald on every pass play and don't turn the ball over. St. Louis is very young and QB Sam Bradford might have some butterflies in his first NFL start.

San Francisco over Seattle: Really like the 49ers. They are built to win, like I said in my NFC Preview and I love linebacker Patrick Willis. He is almost an exact model of his head coach and former linebacker great Mike Singletary. Seattle got rid of T.J. Houshmanzadeh, think that's spelled right, which was a mistake and the Pete Carroll era will start with a loss.

Green Bay over Philadelphia: The Packers are the sexy Super Bowl pick for a lot of people this year and if they are Super Bowl contenders, they go into Philly and come out with a win. The Kevin Kolb era will officially start in the city of Brotherly Love and he will play well this season. But the Eagle defense will not stop MVP Candidate QB Aaron Rodgers and the Green Bay offense.

Dallas over Washington: The Cowboys face a familiar foe in QB Donovon McNabb, he is just in a Redskins uniform this time. I picked the Cowboys to go to the Super Bowl, so they better win and I think they will on Sunday night.

Baltimore over NY Jets: Even though the Ravens are in the same division with the Bengals, I really like their team. They will yet again have a great defense, but this year they have the offense to go along with it. The Ravens added WR T.J. Houshmanzadeh to complement Anquan Boldin and Derek Mason and Darrelle Revis can't cover all three of them. The Jets have a great defense too and it will be a low scoring game, but any mistakes by Jet QB Mark Sanchez will be costly. Ravens in a close one on Monday night.

San Diego over Kansas City: Charlie Weis is back in the NFL, as the Chiefs offensive coordinator, but he does not have the same caliber players as he did when he was in New England. And the Chargers are pretty damn good. Chargers win big.

And of course the Bengals over New England. I hate New England, which is one reason, but there is no way in Hell that I will ever pick against the Bengals this season. The Patriots defense is not as good as it has been in the past and the key to winning the game will rely on the defense. If the defense can stop the Pats offense, the Bengals will win. The key match-ups on defense will be corners Leon Hall and Jonathan Joseph against New England receivers Wes Welker and Randy Moss. Hall and Joseph need to shut down the Pats passing attack if the Bengals have any chance of winning. The Bengals defensive line must get pressure on Tom Brady if Hall and Joseph have any chance of stopping Moss and Welker because Brady will pick them apart if he has time to throw. I hope Ochocinco scores too, just so I can see his shoot off one of the rifles the Patroits mascots fire after every New England score. Benson will have a big game and T.O. will make his presence felt as well. The Bengals will begin their road to the Super Bowl with a win on the road. Football is back...Thank God. Who-Dey!

Comments