Reds Stars Shine on 9/11

9/11 is a day that every American will always remember from that events that happened 9 years ago, but 9/11/10 is a day that I will remember for a long time to come. ESPN was calling this Saturday, "Monster Saturday," because of all the great football games, but their was a game on the baseball diamond that this die hard sports fan could not miss.

On September 11, 1985, Pete Rose broke Ty Cobb's hit record, by getting hit number 4192 and becoming baseball's all-time Hit King. Since then, Pete has been banned from baseball for betting on the game as a manager. Having not stepped onto a baseball diamond since his ban, Pete was allowed to come back and celebrate the 25th anniversary of hit #4192. I never saw Pete Rose play one out of baseball and finally getting to see him on a baseball diamond, is something that I will remember for years to come.

Rose entered Great American Ballpark from the Reds bullpen on a golf cart, to the sound of cheering fans, with the theme song from the movie, The Natural, playing in the background. I can only imagine what Pete must have been thinking as he finally got to return to a major league field. I know that more me, seeing Pete come onto the field and hearing The Natural song being played, it started to bring a tear to my eye. Even though I never got to see him play, I know what he means to baseball and to the city of Cincinnati. He is probably the most popular and most beloved person in the history of the Queen City and seeing him on the field at GABP was, well, you almost had to be there to know just how special it was.

Pete Rose was one of the stars of the Big Red Machine and him being able to return to the field, allowed him to finally pass on the torch to Joey Votto. Yes, their have been many stars since Pete Rose and the Big Red Machine, but today's star is Joey Votto. Votto is hands down the best player on the 2010 Reds and is turning into one of the best players in the game, just like Pete.

As for the game, the Reds had a 3-0 lead going into the 8th, but the bullpen had to blow it, again. Another star in the making, Aroldis Chapman, took the hill for the Reds, my first time seeing him in person, another site I will never forget. Flash, after flash, after flash. I have never seen so many flashbulbs at a Reds game in my life and the first pitch I ever saw Chapman throw was a warm up pitch. A warm up pitch that hit 100 mph.

After tying the game in the bottom of the 9th at 4 all, MVP candidate Joey Votto came up to bat in the bottom of the 10th. Votto has had a great season, an MVP caliber season and I'm sure Reds fans everywhere were thinking, watch Votto hit a walk-off homer here. Sure enough on a night were a former star shined, the current star shined as well. Votto crushed a homer into left-center field stands sending the Reds fans home with a win and adding to the NL Central lead. To tell you the truth I was, of course excited that Votto hit the home run, but I wasn't as excited as I though I would be. I guess that I almost excepted Votto to hit a walkoff homer because Joey and the Reds are just having that kind of season. It was a great ending the a special night and Hollywood couldn't have wrote a better scrpit.

The Reds NL Central lead is back up to 7 games and their magic number is now 15. I can almost taste the playoffs. And the first Sunday of football is today. Get your popcorn ready. WHO-DEY.

Comments