NFL 2012: Week 12 Thanksgiving Edition

As a diehard sports fan, I have a lot to be thankful for this Thanksgiving.

Not only did I go 13-1 last week in my picks, but I'm 107-53 overall this NFL season. Pretty good if I don't say so myself. On top of that, my favorite baseball team, the Cincinnati Reds, won their second division title in three years and won their first playoff game since I was four years old. My Bengals are 5-5, despite losing some pretty ugly games this season, and are still alive in the AFC playoff picture. And my high school Alma Mater, Moeller, just won their first regional championship in football since 1997 and will play for a trip to the state final on Saturday.

It's been a great sports year and a nice change of pace from the usually losing ways of the sports teams in the wonderful city of Cincinnati, Ohio. I've never been a big fan of change, but they always say that change can be a good thing. One thing that I wish would change, besides Bengals ownership, is the situation with my family.

My family is not what it once was and probably never will be the same again. It's a very long story, but the bottom line is that poor decisions and hurtful things were said that may never be forgiven. As the days, weeks, months and years go on, I often wonder if they situation will ever be resolved. I'm in no position to fix what happened, but I sometimes wish I was because nothing is more important to me than my family, friends and all the very important people in my life.

As much as I love sports, as much as I live and die with my teams on every single play, sports will never love me back the way my family and friends do. Sports bring me a lot of joy, excitement and happiness, but sports are never there for me when I need them most. Sports can't give you encouragement or advice when you're feeling down or confused. They might cheer you up when you're upset, but never in the same way that a family member, friend, or significant other can.

I could spend the rest of my days doing nothing but watching sports and some days that would be alright. But there is nothing like spending time with those people that mean the most to you. There is no substitute for sharing stories and laughs with family and friends. There is nothing better than catching a glance from a family member or one of those very special people in your life that simply makes you smile for no reason at all. You don't know why, but just knowing they're there puts a smile on your face.

A Ferrari 458 would be the perfect Christmas present.
My entire family won't be together on Thanksgiving, but I'm still very lucky to have all them as a part of my wonderful, yet sometimes crazy, family. I may not have a Range Rover, a Mercedes, a Ferrari 458 or a house with a three car garage to store them in for that matter, but I have something even better. I have my friends, my parents, my younger brother, aunts, uncles, cousins and a wonderful girlfriend, who I believe is still two games behind in our bet.

What more could a guy ask for?

Not to say a Ferrari wouldn't be nice though. So, if you have no idea what to get me for Christmas, there are four very good suggestions listed above. You're welcome.

Happy Thanksgiving.

Now my picks for this year's Thanksgiving Day games.

Week 12 Picks (Home team in CAPS)

Houston over DETROIT: The last time the Lions won on Thanksgiving was back in 2003 and I think the losing streak on Turkey Day will continue. The Texans did not look very good last week against the Jaguars, but I expect them to rebound Thursday.

DALLAS over Washington: Dallas could not have looked worse in last week's win over Cleveland, but a win's a win. RGIII will be making his return home on Thanksgiving to Texas, but I think his homecoming will be spoiled by Romo and the Cowboys.

New England over NY JETS: Big loss for the Patriots in losing All-Pro TE Rob Gronkowski to a broken forearm, but I still like Brady and the Pats to win Thanksgiving night in New York against the arch rival Jets. The only thing Jets fans have to be thankful for is the fact that their team's dismal season will be over in six weeks.

Last Week: 13-1
Overall: 107-53

Comments