UC-OSU and NFL Week 4 Picks

What is the best football game this weekend? Is it Saints-Cowboys? Packers-Bears? Missouri-South Carolina?

Those may be intriguing games, but none of them are the best football game being played this weekend. The best game is the University of Cincinnati and The Ohio State University battling it out in Columbus for Buckeye state supremacy.

With a win on Saturday, UC would become the undisputed number one
team in the Buckeye state. 
Those of you not from the Ohio area may be wondering, what's the big deal? Cincinnati (UC) and Ohio St., so what?

Well, UC and Ohio St. have not had a great history with one another and to be quite honest, they don't like each other. Ohio St. has been skeptical of playing UC ever since they almost got beat here in Cincinnati back in 2002 when they went on to win the national championship. There are also rumors that Ohio St. has blocked UC's attempts to join the Big Ten and many other things to numerous to mention.

I would say that UC and Ohio St. is a bitter rivalry even though these two schools have only played 15 times since 1893, with the Buckeyes winning the last 10 meetings. How can two schools who have meet only 15 times since the late 1800's be bitter rivals?

Well, this is Ohio, football country.

The Buckeye state is a football state through and through and us Ohioans love football. From high school to the NFL, the people in this state are in love with football, so when the two biggest collegiate football programs in the state meet for only the 16th time in history, it's a big deal.

I have lived in Ohio my whole life and graduated from UC. I love football and I cannot wait to see these two teams play Saturday night. The Bearcats will even be wearing a special Ohio-themed decal on their helmets for the big game.

UC head coach Tommy Tuberville has done a great job with the Bearcats program so far, and Notre Dame transfer, quarterback Gunner Kiel, has looked good in two games this season throwing for 689-yards and 10 touchdowns. Ohio St. has better recruits and probably has better players than UC at each position, but with Braxton Miller out for the season, UC has an advantage at the most important position on the field, quarterback.

I think it will be a shootout and I expect Gunner Kiel to be the difference. Bearcats 41, Buckeyes 38. Go Bearcats!

Now my picks for Week 4 in the NFL.

Week 4 Picks (Home team in CAPS)

WASHINGTON over NY Giants: I know the Redskins lost last week, but I really like what I have seen from QB Kirk Cousins since he took over for the injured RGIII. With Washington being at home on a short week and with the hot play of Cousins, I like the Redskins Thursday night. I wrote that on Thursday and man was I wrong. Washington got embarrassed as Eli Manning threw four touchdown passes in a 45-14 beat down.

Green Bay over CHICAGO: On Milwaukee radio this week, quarterback Aaron Rodgers had five letters for Packers fans out there, "R-E-L-A-X. Relax. We're going to be OK." I could not agree more. I still think the Packers have one of the best teams in the NFC and I think they will beat division rival Chicago on Sunday.

HOUSTON over Buffalo: Tough game to pick, but the reason I took the Texans here is because they are at home and because of Ryan Fitzpatrick. You're probably thinking why am I picking the Texans to win because of Ryan Fitzpatrick, but let me explain. Up until last week, Fitzpatrick had not committed a turnover and had played very well, which resulted in the Texans winning two games. Last week, Fitzpatrick threw three interceptions and Houston lost. If Fitzpatrick can take care of the ball, the Texans will win, which I think they will.

INDIANAPOLIS over Tennessee: Having watched the Titans get demolished by the Bengals last week, there is no way I'm taking them to beat Andrew Luck and the Colts in Indianapolis this week.

BALTIMORE over Carolina: The Panthers gave up 264-yards on the ground to the Steelers last week and rank 27th in the league when it comes to stopping the run. The Ravens ranked 8th in rushing and have rushed for over 150-yards each of the last two weeks. Advantage Ravens. I expect a heavy dose of running backs Bernard Pierce and Justin Forsett in this one, resulting in a Baltimore win.

Detroit over NY JETS: I thought about taking the Jets here, but the Lions were able to beat the Packers last week while turning the ball over three times and that's impressive. Detroit played great on defense allowing only seven points and 223-yards of offense and I think the Lions defense, not the Jets defense, will be the difference in this one.

PITTSBURGH over Tampa Bay: Raise your hand if you had the Buccaneers making the playoffs this year. A lot of people did and I strongly consider it, but I'm glad I only had them going 7-9. Tampa Bay has looked awful thus far and I don't expect them to win in Pittsburgh on Sunday.

Miami over OAKLAND: I was tempted to take Oakland here since the Dolphins played poorly last week and flying out to play over in London is always tough, but the Raiders are really bad. I'll take Miami.

SAN DIEGO over Jacksonville: Through the first three weeks, the Jaguars have given up an average of 39.6 points/game, most in the league. I'll take the under and say the Chargers score 38 in a winning effort.

Atlanta over MINNESOTA: Rookie quarterback Teddy Bridgewater will finally get his chance in Minnesota as Matt Cassel was placed on injured reserve this week with a foot injury. Unfortunately, Bridgewater will have to go up against Matt Ryan, the hottest quarterback in the league right now. I like Atlanta on the road.

SAN FRANCISCO over Philadelphia: Nick Foles has the Eagles off to a great start at 3-0, but I know the 49ers are better than their 1-2 record indicates. San Francisco will be ready to play and I predict they will get their first win at Levi's Stadium.

Drew Brees guided the Saints to their first win last week,
this week he and the New Orleans offense face the Dallas defense.
Good luck to the Cowboys.
(Crystal LoGiudice/USA TODAY Sports)
New Orleans over DALLAS: The Cowboys fell down 21-0 last week in St. Louis, but give Tony Romo credit for bringing them back to get the win. However, the Dallas defense gave up 31 points and 448-yards to Austin Davis and the Rams offense. With that being said, I can't even imagine how many points Drew Brees and the Saints could put up this weekend. I'm guessing it will be a lot and I like the Saints to get the win.

New England over KANSAS CITY: I was surprised by Kansas City winning on the road last week in Miami and one would think that since New England lost to Miami, they would loss to the Chiefs too. Well, if you thought that you would be wrong. I expect a close game, but I like Tom Brady on Monday Night Football to get the win on the road. Next week, the Bengals travel to Foxborough on Sunday night to face the Patriots. That should be a great game.

Bye: Cincinnati, Cleveland, Denver, St. Louis, Arizona, Seattle

This Week: 0-1
Last Week: 11-5
Overall: 31-18

Comments