Why I'm a Proud Bengals Fan This Week. Plus Week 3 Picks.

It has been a tremulous last two weeks for the NFL with everything going on from the domestic violence cases of Ray Rice and Greg Hardy, to child abuse and Adrian Peterson. You're probably sick of hearing about these stories as much as I am, so I'm going to talk about a good story going on in the NFL right now, Devon Still and the Cincinnati Bengals.

Devon Still Head coach Marvin Lewis of the Cincinnati Bengals greets defensive tackle Devon Still #75 of the Cincinnati Bengals as he comes onto the field to take on the Baltimore Ravens at M&T Bank Stadium on September 10, 2012 in Baltimore, Maryland.
Marvin Lewis and the Bengals have been very supportive of defensive
tackle Devon Still as his daughter battles cancer.
(Rob Carr/Getty Images North America)
If you haven't heard about it already, SI's Peter King has a great column about Still, whose 4 year old daughter is currently battling cancer. Head coach Marvin Lewis and owner Mike Brown have been terrific allowing Still to take as much time as he needs away from football to be with his daughter. They kept Still on the practice squad when he was cut after the preseason so he could keep his medical insurance to pay for his daughters treatment that costs over $1 million. The Bengals are also donating all of the proceeds from Devon Still's jersey sales to Cincinnati Children's Hospital to support pediatric cancer research.

With all the horrific actions and negative press surrounding the NFL these last two weeks, this is a great story that is not getting the attention it rightful deserves. I have been a Bengals fan my whole life and never in the past 23 years I have been prouder to call myself a fan of the Cincinnati Bengals. Mike Brown and Marvin Lewis have driven fans crazy in the past with some of their decisions, but they hit a home run with the way they handled Devon Still and his daughter. Hats off to the Bengals on a job well done. Who-Dey!

Now for my Week 3 picks, plus are the Bengals the best team in the AFC? Keep reading to find out.

Week 3 Picks (Home team in CAPS)

ATLANTA over Tampa Bay: Atlanta looked bad last week against Cincinnati and Tampa Bay is still looking for their first win after losing to St. Louis, 19-17, last week. I expect it to be a close game, but the Falcons seem to play better at home and I don't think their offense will have two poor games in a row. Atlanta in a close one.

Did Antonio Gates, Chargers Expose Seahawks Defense vs. Tight Ends?
Antonio Gates' three touchdown receptions last week helped the Chargers
defeat the defending Super Bowl champion Seattle Seahawks, 30-21.
(Gregory Bull/Associated Press)
San Diego over BUFFALO: At 2-0, the Bills are one of the surprise teams so far this season, but I'm still not sold on them. I am sold on the Chargers, however. San Diego dominated the defending Super Bowl champs last week and despite the fact that they are coming to the east coast for a one o'clock kickoff, how can you not take the Chargers in this one?

Dallas over ST. LOUIS: I was impressed by both Dallas and St. Louis in their wins last week, but what impressed me most of all is the Cowboys defense. They actually may not be as bad as we might have thought and if Dallas continues to chew clock by running DeMarco Murray, they will win more games than I previous had thought and will win on Sunday.

PHILADELPHIA over Washington: With RGIII being out for the next several weeks with an ankle injury we will finally get to see what Kirk Cousins can do. We saw it a bit last week and in three starts last season, but the next five weeks or so should tell us a lot about Cousins. I like what I've seen from him thus far and he's very similar to Andy Dalton, so he should fit in well with Jay Gruden's offense. With that being said, the Eagles have a better overall team and will defeat former wide receiver DeSean Jackson in his return to Philadelphia.

Houston over NY GIANTS: The jury is still out on whether the Texans are legit or not, but I have to say I like what I've seen from them so far. Their defense has only given up 20 points -- albeit against the Redskins and Raiders -- the offense has ran the ball well and they have a new goal line threat in J.J. Watt, who caught his first career pass for a touchdown last week. The Giants on the other hand can't run the ball and continue to turn the ball over as Eli Manning is tied for the league lead with four interceptions. I'm going to go with the Texans in this one.

NEW ORLEANS over Minnesota: I have to give a big "C'mon Man" to the Vikings this week for the way they handled the Adrian Peterson situation. Peterson has been charged with child abuse and for the Vikings to reinstate him, then suddenly change their mind at one o'clock in the morning after sponsors started backing out, is appalling. Apparently all the Vikings care about is money and they only reacted once they started losing money. A terrible job by the Vikings front office and another black eye for the NFL, who has had the worst two weeks in the history of the league. New Orleans pummels Minnesota for their first win.

Baltimore over CLEVELAND: The Browns were somehow able to beat the Saints last week, but I don't think they will get on a winning streak. Baltimore looked much better last week against Pittsburgh than they did against Cincinnati the week prior and if they run the ball effectively, they'll win.

Green Bay over DETROIT: Toughest game to pick this week. I almost took the Lions here but I ultimately decided to go with the Packers for two reasons. First, the Lions historically commit a lot of turnovers, they committed three last week in fact, and lost. Second, the Packers have Aaron Rodgers. Rodgers and wide receiver Jordy Nelson had the best numbers of any quarterback/wide receiver duo in the NFL last week, hooking up for 209-yards and a touchdown. I think the Green Bay offense will have similar success this week and win a close game in Detroit.

Indianapolis over JACKSONVILLE: I would be shocked if the Colts start 0-3 and I don't think they will as the beat up on the Jaguars to get their first win.

NEW ENGLAND over Oakland: Another rough start for the Raiders in 2014 and one has to wonder when, if ever, they will be good again. Patriots by two touchdowns.

San Francisco over ARIZONA: I went to bed last Sunday night thinking the 49ers had their home opener in the bag against the Bears. Boy was I wrong. I hope I'm not wrong this week when I pick the 49ers to beat the Cardinals.

SEATTLE over Denver: I really wanted to take Denver here because you know Peyton Manning watched tape of Seattle and figured out what went wrong in the Super Bowl, but I couldn't pull the trigger. I can almost guarantee that the Broncos will play better and after watching Antonio Gates and the Chargers beat the Seahawks last week, I would not be surprised if Julius Thomas gets a lot of targets. Seattle though, is really tough to beat at home and I think they will win a close game.

MIAMI over Kansas City: Too many injuries for Kansas City with Eric Berry and Jamaal Charles most likely not playing on Sunday, but the Dolphins will miss running back Knowshon Moreno who will miss several weeks with a dislocated elbow. I think it will be a close game, but I like Miami at home.

CAROLINA over Pittsburgh: In the last six quarters, the Steelers have been outscored 50-9. Ouch. Going up against the Carolina defense won't make things be much better.

Chicago over NY JETS: As former head coach Dennis Green said about the Bears, "They are who we thought they were!" An impressive win for Chicago last week in San Francisco and if they play like they did last Sunday, they can win a lot a games including Monday night at the Jets.

Giovani Bernard was a nightmare for the Atlanta
Falcons last week, accounting for 169 total yards
and a touchdown.
(Michael Conroy/Associated Press)
BENGALS over Titans: The Cincinnati Bengals, best team in the AFC? After last Sunday's win over Atlanta that thought entered my mind and although I think it is too early to tell, I think it may be true.

Apart from not scoring touchdowns when they get into the red zone, the Bengals have done just about everything right this season. They have not given up a sack or committed a turnover on offense and the defense has given up just 26 points while collecting five turnovers. Andy Dalton has taken care of the ball and has looked good against the blitz. Running backs Giovani Bernard and Jeremy Hill are quickly turning into the best running back duo in the AFC. And they have won two games basically without two of their top receivers in Tyler Eifert and Marvin Jones and they won last week without A.J. Green.

Coordinators Hue Jackson and Paul Guenther have done a great job stepping in for Jay Gruden and Mike Zimmer and I know it's early, but I love what I see from this team thus far. Only time will tell on just how good the Bengals are and they will win on Sunday heading into the bye, 3-0. Bengals 27, Titans 16.

Last Week: 8-8
Overall: 20-12

Comments