LBJ not Like Mike, yet

All everyone is talking about today is LeBron James. So, once again I decide to follow the trend. I've always been, for the most part a follower, so why mess up a winning formula. I watched the second half of the Cavs-Celtics game last night and I did not see the LeBron James that everyone is use to seeing. Every since LeBron came into the league he has been considered the next Michael Jordan and is eventually suppose to overtake him as the greatest basketball player to every play the game. After watching his performance the last three games, he has a long way to go.

LeBron James is a great player, don't get me wrong, and I think that he has a chance to be a great player. If I were to become an owner of a NBA team tomorrow, not likely to happen I know, but I would want LeBron James to sign with my team. He is great player and can take over a game by himself, but that's not the player I saw last night in Game 6 of the Eastern Conference Semifinals against the Boston Celtics. The Cavs were down 3 games to 2 and needed a win to keep their season alive and they failed, big time.

LeBron is considered the greatest player in the world today and the greatest player in the world plays better than he did last night. Although he scored 27 points, grabbed 19 rebounds and dished out 10 assists, he also turned the ball over 9 times and was just 8-21 from the field. There were times where he would pass the ball instead of taking it to the rim. When his team needed a big shot he turned it over, or gave the ball up to another teammate. I'm all for sharing the basketball, you learn in the first grade that everyone is suppose to share, but when you are the best player on the floor you keep the ball.

I love to watch LeBron play the game, he is very entertaining to watch, but I do not think he is even the best overall player in the game. In the regualr season, yes, and he won MVP again, but when it comes to the playoffs he is not the best player. Kobe Bryant, of the Los Angeles Lakers, is my favorite player and I believe and all around better player, especially in the playoffs. Kobe Bryant would have played better than LeBron last night if he was in the same situation and I know Michael Jordan would have too.

In the most important games of the season, a teams best player is suppose to come out and win the game for his team. Whether it's basketball, baseball, or football at any level, your teams best player is suppose to be clutch in clutch situations. LeBron has failed at being a clutch player to this point in his career. Kobe Bryant has been clutch when his team needed him and Michael Jordan as well, multiple times. They leave everything out on the court and it seemed to me that LeBron James didn't. I didn't see the fight, or leadership that a player of his magnitude should have in an elimination game in the NBA playoffs. The bottomline is, whether LeBron's elbow was bothering him or if the pressure to win was too much for him to handle, he choked.

LeBron is only 25 years old and has a lot of basketball left in him. He will have the chance this summer to go to a different team and leave all of Cleveland wondering if they will ever win another championship. LeBron has yet to win a championship, but I think he will win one and I hope he does. The all-time greatest players have all won a championship, multiple ones as a matter of fact. Jordan won 6, Kobe has won 4, Magic Johnson 5 titles and Larry Bird 3. Some of the greatest players to every play the game have won not just one, but mulitple NBA titles. And until LeBron wins one, he can't be put into the same category as those great players and will never be able to succeed Michael Jordan as the greatest player that ever lived. We will have to wait and see, but it should be fun to watch.

LeBron James is a great player, but not yet an all time great. LBJ is not Like Mike...yet but sure as hell can be.

BTW: No post would be complete without mentioning the Reds. Winners of 5 straight, including back-to-back complete game shutouts by Johnny Cueto and Homer Bailey. Are you kidding me? I had no idea they had it in them and Harang, Arroyo and Leake all pitched good to boot. Now the Reds are just a 1/2 game back of the St. Louis Cardinals, who happen to be in town this weekend for a 3 game series. Hopefully by Monday, the Reds will be in first place. God, that would be sweet.

Comments