The New and Unknown Big Red Machine

Thank God for the Reds. These past few weeks have just flat out sucked, no other way to say it, I'm so ready for school to be over and work at the Big F continues to be a royal pain in the ass. The only thing I have to look forward to and the only bright spot in my life nowadays, are the Cincinnati Reds. Winners of three in a row and 15 of their last 20. They are a 1/2 game up on the St. Louis Cardinals in the NL Central and are in first place for the first time since 2006. Yeah, it's been so long I don't even remember that. But no matter how bad of a day I have, a Reds win makes it better.

It's amazing what winning can do for fans and a city. I have never heard people around the city talk as so much about the Reds in my life. They are the topic on all the sports radio stations; they dominate the sports page of the paper, with frequent appearances on the front page. I have never seen the city so upbeat about one of their sports teams. The last time the city was this excited about one of their sports teams; it was 2005, when the Bengals won the division for the first time in God knows how long. Hell, the last time the city of Cincinnati was this excited about its baseball team it was probably 1990. When they went wire to wire and won the World Series, just my luck, I wasn't born yet. Story of my life.

I believe that the Reds are going to stay in contention for the rest of the year, mainly because they have good pitching, good young players and the play in the NL Central. The division this year is a joke, beside the Reds, only the Cardinals have a winning record. Looking at the other teams their seasons are basically over. The Chicago Cubs, 17-22, and it looks like it’s going to be another 100 years before they win the World Series. Pittsburgh is somehow in fourth at 16-22, but they will probably be in the cellar come September. Milwaukee Brewers, losers of seven straight and sit at 15-23. The Houston Astros are the worst team in the National League at 13-25, Houston; I think you have a problem. The Cardinals are the only legit threat the Reds have and even they are not that big of a threat.

The Reds just took two of three from the Cardinals and dominated the series. The Reds have a better pitching staff, better defense, and a better manager. I hate capital H-A-T-E; hate Cardinal manager Tony La Russa. The guy over manages so much and he drives me crazy how he uses three pitchers to get three outs. Baseball is a slow game because of Tony La Russa. Dusty Baker drives me crazy sometimes, but I would take him over La Russa any day.

And believe it or not the Reds have a better offense than the Cardinals. Okay, the Cardinals have one of the best players in baseball in Albert Pujols, but other than him I would take any of the Reds over any player on the Cardinals. Everyone on the Reds can hit, they all hit with runners in scoring position, they hit homeruns, go from first to third on base hits and can pour it on at any time. They have better young players that no one has heard of. I bet you ask a non-Cincinnatian to name one of the Reds pitchers they will probably say Aroldis Chapman, who isn't even on the team, he's in the minors. No has heard of Mike Leake, Johnny Cueto, Drew Stubbs, Johnny Gomes or Ryan Hanigan. Most sports fans, who even follow the game, cannot name the usual starting lineup. And that's fine with me, because I know who they are, who cares what other people think.

Yesterday on SportsCenter the Reds/Cardinals game was the first baseball highlight and the great Chris Berman had the honor of doing the highlight. Boomer is my favorite sportscaster at ESPN and to have him do the Reds highlight and talk about how the great baseball town of Cincinnati has a team in first place, was a great thing to see. As a matter of fact it was perfect. Having my favorite sportscaster talk about how my favorite baseball team is now in first place, is something that makes me so happy even when life sucks. My life sometimes gets me down, but it's amazing how sports can make you feel like a million bucks, just wish I had a million bucks, and then life would be perfect.

This year’s team is going to surprise a lot of people and don't be surprised if you see them playing in October. I will be the first to say it; Cincinnati has a New Big Red Machine, yet they are still Unknown to the rest of the baseball world, which is fine with me. Can't wait to see what happens next.

Comments