NFL: Mid-Season Awards

Today I was listening to Mike and Mike in the morning on ESPN Radio and they were doing their Mama's, (Mike and Mike mid-season awards), for the NFL and it got me thinking. I should have been thinking about the Accounting and Spanish tests that I had coming up back-to-back, but my mind easily wanders. So, as a bonus to my Week 9 preview, here are my mid-season awards for Offensive MVP, Defensive MVP, Coach of the Year, Most Surprising Team and Most Disappointing Team. And of course, the Bengals will be included in one of these categories. Can you guess which one?

2010 NFL Mid-Season Awards
Offensive MVP, IND-QB Peyton Manning: MVP stands for Most Valuable Player and in opinion, there is no player more valuable in the NFL than Peyton Manning. The guy is flat out amazing and the best quarterback I have ever seen play the game. The Colts have been hampered by injuries, yet are still 5-2 because of Manning. Guys like TE Dallas Clark, RB Joseph Addai, WR Austin Collie and WR Anthony Gonzalez have been injured at some time this season, but it has not hurt the Colts. Manning finds the open man no matter if it's Reggie Wayne or Jacob Temme, who became the 27th player to catch his first touchdown pass from Peyton Manning last week. Peyton is in the top five in almost every statistical category with a QB Rating of 101.4, 65.9 completion percentage, 2,184 passing yards, 15 TD, and only 2 INT. The Colts are poised for another Super Bowl run, just like they are every year, because of Manning. This guys defines MVP.

Defensive MVP, WSH-CB DeAngelo Hall: I was between Hall and Packers linebacker Clay Matthews, but Hall has been a "Holy Crap" performer several times this season and has basically won two games for the Redskins. Remember in week one when he stripped the ball from Dallas RB Tashard Choice and returned it for a touchdown to end the first half. That ended up being the difference in the game and then theirs his game against Jay Cutler and the Bears. Hall was Cutler's favorite receiver that day, recording 4 INT and returning one for a touchdown in a 17-14 win against the Bears. Without Hall the Redskins are 2-6, not 4-4, which makes him a MVP in my book.

Coach's of the Year, Raheem Morris and Todd Haley: This one's a tie. Not many people, including me, thought the Buccaneers and the Chiefs would be in first place at 5-2. I had Tampa going 4-12, and the Chiefs going 6-10, guess I was wrong. Raheem Morris was almost fired last year, but now he thinks Tampa is the best team in the NFC, which I love to see from a head coach, and they just might be. Todd Haley and the Chiefs have done a great job coaching their young players and the Chiefs are going to be good for years to come. Don't be surprised to see both Kansas City and Tampa Bay in the playoffs.

Most Surprising Team, Oakland Raiders: The Chiefs, Bucs, and Rams have been nice surprises, but not as much as Oakland. I know their only 4-4, but let me explain. They have won their past two games by a combined score of 92-17 and have lost three of their games by a combined 16 points. They rank 2nd in the league at running the football, are the 4th best at stopping the pass, 8th in total yards per game, 2nd in total points, 4th in points per game, I think you get the point. I never would have thought that the Oakland Raiders would be one of the better offensive teams in the NFL. They haven't been this good on offense since the early 2000's when they had Rich Gannon at quarterback and before then the 1970's. The Raiders can still catch the Chiefs in the AFC West and we just might be starting to see the resurgence of the silver in black.

Most Disappointing Teams, Dallas Cowboys and Cincinnati Bengals: Let me first start by giving myself a "C'mon Man." I indeed had the Cincinnati Bengals and Dallas Cowboys going to the Super Bowl. Won't make that mistake again. Being a Bengals fan, I want them to go to the Super Bowl every year, but I really thought they had a chance this year. After drafting guys like WR Jordan Shipley and TE Jermaine Gresham, and acquiring T.O., everyone thought they could have the best offense in football. All their offense has managed to do is under perform and with the defense not playing like they did in 2009, the Bengals are 2-5 and were out of it by Halloween. Meanwhile, in Dallas things are actually worse. A 1-6 start has buried any chance of being the first team to play in a home Super Bowl and has owner Jerry Jones apologizing to Cowboys fans. I would kill for an apology from Mike Brown, but that won't happen till Hell freezes over. The Bengals, Cowboys and your truly get a big "C'mon Man."

Stay tuned for a Bengals-Steelers preview for Monday Night Football and the rest of my picks for Week 9, later in the week.

Comments