NFL: Thanksgiving Edition

Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays, and not because you can sit in front of the television and watch football all day while stuffing your face with food, but because I get to spend time with my family. The few people that read this blog and who know me, very few, probably think that all I do is watch sports all day long. Well, guilty as charged.

I mean, I get up earlier because I have to catch a little bit of SportsCenter before I go to school. Nothing worse than going to school, not knowing what has been happening in the world of sports while you were asleep. Then on the way to school, I listen to Mike and Mike in the Morning on ESPN Radio and on the way home, I listen to Mo Egger also on ESPN Radio. I have to know what's going on in the world of sports or I just feel different, it starts to eat me up inside. I'm addicted to sports and sorry, but I can't help it.

Sports have always been a major part of my life and sports bring me a lot of joy. Granted the Reds and Bengals have both been to the playoffs the past year, but for the most part, they have sucked for most of my 19 years. Despite this, I can't imagine rooting for any other teams than the Cincinnati Reds and the Cincinnati Bengals. They have brought me so much joy, excitement and great memories over the years that I'm a fan for life. No matter how bad they are.

But the one thing that sports has never done and never will do, is love you back the way you love them. I can love the Reds and Bengals all I want, but they will never love me back. My family has, and always will.

That's why this Thanksgiving, the thing that I'm most thankful for is, my family. I have a great family and there is nothing in this world that I love more than my family, with the Reds and Bengals a close second of course. We have always been close, but over the years we have grown apart. The number of people that come to Thanksgiving dinner gets smaller every year, as we have drifted apart for stupid reasons that I have no control over. It's a long story.

But my family has always been there for me and always will, sports can't say that. Some of my best childhood memories have been at sporting events though with my family, from Reds and Bengals games, Moeller football games, fishing at the cottage, and having my family come watch me play sports in school. But the best memories are past Thanksgivings, Christmas' and other family functions. With every family get together, their is a great memory and I can't say that when it comes to sports. Their have been lots of Reds and Bengals games that are not worth remembering.

I have a great family, from my parents, my brother, aunts, uncles, cousins and grandparents that are watching from above. I am very lucky and that's easy to forget sometimes. So, this Thanksgiving I'm so very grateful for sports, the Reds and Bengals, but most of all, my family. They are a one of a kind bunch and they drive me crazy sometimes, but I wouldn't trade them for anything else in the world. Not even a Reds or Bengals championship, but I would probably have to think about it for a second.

Week 12 Thanksgiving Picks
Three football games this Thanksgiving and I will no doubt be in front of the television most of the day, watching the football with the family. Here are my Thanksgiving Day picks and enjoy the day with your family and don't be ashamed if you overeat and need to unbutton your pants after dinner just like Frank Barone. I may even need a pair of his stretchy pants.

New England over Detroit: The Patriots are one of the best team in the league and even though the Lions have played better, their still not very good on Thanksgiving or any other day of the week. Lions will give the Patriots a game though.

New Orleans over Dallas: Cowboys are a whole different team with Jason Garrett as head coach and they can play the spoiler role the rest of the season. The Saints (7-3) are a game behind the Falcons in the NFC South and with Tampa Bay, Green Bay and Chicago all 7-3, the Saints need a win to help their playoff chances. Saints win a very close one on Thanksgiving.

NY Jets over Bengals: The Bengals flat out stink. As hard as it is to say, it's the truth. I thought this team had talent, but they don't. Marvin Lewis was Coach of the Year last year and he sure hasn't been one this season. Time for the Bengals to yet again, blow up the roster and start all over again. Seems like we have been down this road before. The Jets have been on thin ice the last three weeks with games coming down to the wire, but a win is a win. At 8-2, the Jets are tied for the best record in the NFL and in the two meetings last year between these teams, the Bengals got embarrassed. Bengals will probably play well for a little while then find another way to lose the game. Jets dominate the Bengals and win easily.

Comments